Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

Well, you're fun must be similar to mine: I enjoy telling people who
think it's okay to falsely accuse people of racism what I think of them.

So I see we've resolved the problems of this list in predictable
fashion: you have no intention of admitting, even with clear
evidence, that you have been following the Jim Sleeper "liberal
racism" baiting game since at least 1994, clever lad that you are. I
won't bother to express my opinion of Justice Roberts. Your record
speaks for itself. Bob Megginson's analysis of your posts says all
that need be said in response, though he wasn't alone on the AMTE
list in recognizing, decrying, and despising your tactics. I found
lots of long-forgotten material there.

Hence, what I quoted last night from Jerry Uhl about the Northridge
Nazis and their impact on another list is just one more indication
that I've not been imagining the last dozen years or so. First Jerry
Rosen and David Klein moved over to this list from that calculus list
they politicized. You joined here a week or so later, having been
informed by them of the need to make haste to invade a new territory.
Your first post to this list addressed me. You attempted to
straighten me out regarding commentary I'd offered about a Klein and
Rosen guest editorial in a New York paper (if memory serves). Do I
need to refresh your recollection on that one? Maybe tomorrow.

Suffice it to say that you haven't exactly mellowed with age.

As to your comments below: I said 11 years ago that the methods you
believe in don't serve very many people well. Some of the people they
seem to serve adequately are women. Some are men. Some are black.
Some are Asian. Some are white. Regardless of whether they appear to
better serve, on average, more of one ethnic background than another,
more of one sex than another, isn't important to me, quite frankly.
What is important is that the way you think mathematics MUST be
taught simply is too narrow, ignores everything I and, as Mark
Klespis said to you on the amte list-serve, lots of very
knowledgeable people know about teaching mathematics. He stated that
you clearly know little or nothing about teaching. I think he was
quite correct, and you insist on a regular basis upon reinforcing
that opinion.

On Jul 23, 2007, at 12:14 AM, Wayne Bishop wrote:

> Thanks Michael, reviewing these old posts has been fun. It is
> obvious that my "accusations of racism" were nothing more than
> pointing out implications of unintended consequences of race-based
> (and sex-based) decision-making in mathematics education. Justice
> Roberts said it beautifully, "the best way to stop racial
> discrimination is to stop discriminating on the basis of race."
> Solid evidence that minority students or women learn mathematics
> better using curricula or pedagogy better aligned for white males
> (Asian females included) would need to be considered but the fact
> is that no such thing exists. In fact, all evidence points the
> other direction, women and minority students who succeed in math-
> based studies do the same problems, take the same tests, etc., as
> their white male counterparts. The Roberts logic applies.

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07