Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Kirby Urner

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

> RE: Kirby wrote:
> (or not, if a "list mom" shows up, and
> shoos us all away).
>
> Kirby,
>
> Is this a reference to my posts or are you talking
> about a list moderator?

Not a reference to your posts. A moderator stands out
for really having a different set of privileges, for
example to ban certain people from subscribing and/or
posting.

> If it was my posts, please let me stand corrected. I
> certainly never intended to shoo anyone away. I hope
> we can heal this boo boo and carry on. 8)

Honestly, I wasn't thinking of your posts. You're just
another reasonable person suggesting ways we might coexist
-- same as me then, in many respects. I'm suggesting we
just hang out and blather, like we've been doing. Doesn't
matter if people get more entrenched over time. It's
still a fun conversation, and *does* manage to rope in
some real math topics now and then (like mice within snake
coils). Lurkers come back as if to a comic book or soap
opera. The characters are still there, plus or minus, and
it's not that hard to pick up on what's happening.

> I am with you here. This is why I am on the list -
> for information feedback and perspectives other than
> my own to consider. I like the "water-cooler model"

Thanks. I'm glad to be sharin' some water with ya.

> I say let the debates begin again, only lets try our
> best to act like ladies and gentlemen. (I personally
> am offended by "a lot of irrelevant poopka packed
> around" debates. However, I did not leave the list
> because of it, I just stated my opinion and requested
> an experiment in order for us to take a look at what
> was happening.)

Sometimes you want to see how people behave in response
to offensive content. Kids test teachers in that way
sometimes, letting loose with some poor taste remark in
part just to see what behavior "the adult" will role
model. In some subcultures, the teacher comes back with
equally ribald and bawdy content, one upping the student.
In others, the kid gets sent to the principal's office
without further adieu. In others, the teacher pretends to
take no notice and continues explaining polynomials.

Given we don't all share the same ethnicity on this list,
I'm reluctant to prescribe appropriate behavior. What's
appropriate is we type and file -- that's being a lady or
gentleman. We're not sending thugs around, although Wayne
has been known to make phone calls. Really, I think we're
a pretty civilized bunch, given how we're trying to deal
with pivotal issues of curriculum architecture, a core
subject, in a public archive with no strict rules.
I commend us for at least trying. Beats having an emperor
or other "list mom" on steroids.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07