Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Bishop, Wayne

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

At 05:27 AM 7/23/2007, Haim wrote:
>Wayne Posted: Jul 23, 2007 12:14 AM
> >Thanks Michael, reviewing these old posts has been fun.
> >It is obvious that my "accusations of racism" were
> >nothing more than pointing out implications of
> >unintended consequences of race-based (and sex-based)
> >decision-making in mathematics education.

> Yes, it is perfectly obvious.
>

> >Justice Roberts said it beautifully, "the best way to
> >stop racial discrimination is to stop discriminating on
> >the basis of race."

> And this is perfectly obvious, too. Wayne, you should not feel
> the need to spend too much time and energy rebutting the
> irrelevant. The preposterous can be ignored, altogether.

Yes, but it is fun to revisit some of these preposterous, and
deliberate, misrepresentations. My favorite, because it became so
well-documented, was the "pickaninny incident" that is referred to
here by one contributor from time to time. Although I didn't know
until afterwards, it was the reason that I was kicked off of the LA
Unified math curriculum committee a couple years earlier with the
same deliberate misrepresentation by the same forces of the Dark
Side. In 2002, it was a last-minute effort to get me kicked off the
team of four (two teams of two, really) commissioned to assess the
mathematics education program for the Pittsburgh Public Schools.

Fortunately, Tony Norman, a local black journalist, saw through the
sham and laid the issue to rest except in the minds of those who
choose to act as if 1 + 1 = 3 and the assessment* went ahead as
scheduled. It didn't happen right away but eventually the PPS did
drop Everyday Mathematics but I assume the system still has plenty of
educational problems.
http://www.postgazette.com/columnists/20021022tony1022p5.asp
"'Bishop made three unreasonable assumptions when he dashed off a
note to colleagues on June 24, 1997. No. 1: A missive written in
cyberspace will remain private. No. 2: Educational experts are
sufficiently smart enough to differentiate between sarcasm and
bare-knuckled racism. No. 3: He could demonize his opponents'
position without fear of being demonized himself."

Guilty as charged.

Some readers might be interested in other Tony Norman contributions,
for example, his most recent on banishment of the N-word.
http://www.post-gazthemette.com/columnists/norman.asp
"While the NAACP was burying a racial slur in Detroit, dozens of
black parents across the country were burying children shot down in
the streets of major cities by black people."

Fixing some things do matter and that includes publicly funded
education, especially in heavily minority, low socioeconomic, urban
districts. If the only way to get that done is to replace the status
quo with a system augmented by lots of voucher schools, let's go for
it. And blow up the schools of education, of course.

Wayne

*www.nychold.com/testim-bishop-021024.doc

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07