Topic: Help with a school project, a statistical survey on education
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 13, 2013 4:14 PM

John Kane

Re: Help with a school project, a statistical survey on education

This sounds like an excellent and very ambitious project. Since it is
a high school project I'd suggest that you don't get too complicated.
As I thing Richard pointed out it can be very complicated but treat
the project as a pilot - keep it simple and just remember to point out
the limitations when you write the report :) Then like any good
researcher you can ask for more funding for future reseach :)

> iii)Is there some easily available (preferably free) software that
> will let me do all this analysis (brownie points for fitting
> probability distributions and graphing)? It would be a nightmare to do
> this by hand since we usually work with less than 50 data points
> instead of several hundred.

Perhaps the Royal Royce of free statistical packages is R http://www.r-project.org/.
However it is not all that user-friendly and it might take longer to
learn than is worth it for one project.

There is plenty of good documentation on the site that can help and
there is a very good R-help mailing list where you can ask questions

Otherwise here are some sites for some dedictated statistiscs/
graphing packages (Free or shareware in most or all cases). I have
not checked the links in a few months though.

http://gsociology.icaap.org/methods/soft.html
http://freestatistics.altervista.org/stat.php
http://www.psychnet-uk.com/experimental_design/software_packages.htm
http://data.fas.harvard.edu/micah_altman/socsci.shtml