Topic: Weierstrass
Replies: 26   Last Post: Jul 9, 2004 4:27 PM

Eckard Blumschein

Re: Weierstrass

David W. Cantrell wrote:

> I suspect I do: Eric Weisstein wrote "strangely" because the words "open"
> and "closed" _seem_, based on their extramathematical meanings, to
> contradict each other.

Isn't the mathematical meaning: Zero is included as well as excluded?
This is exactly what I am trying to suggest for any infinitely precise
real, not just for zero. If a frontier stone of zero dimensions is
immediately surrounded by infinitely much of very similar stuff, then
its removal or the opposite does not matter at all. I suspect: Included
and excluded do contradict in mathematics too, unless they refer to
something infinitesmal small.

Eckard