The Math Forum

Topic: Re: More Prototyping (gnu math thread)
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 23, 2007 3:07 PM

Louis Talman

On Aug 23, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Kirby Urner wrote:

> Graph theory, a branch of topology, and spherical geometry
> (displaced by Newtonian calculus in recent memory)

I don't think that spherical *geometry* (or any other non-Euclidean
geometry) was ever particularly important as a high school topic. If
you meant spherical *trigonometry*, that's a horse of another color.

And your suggestion that it was displaced by Newtonian calculus is
arguable, at the very least. Spherical trig may just have died on
the vine when it was no longer expected that high school graduates
could become surveyors and/or navigators with no further formal
education. In education, such deaths are usually quite protracted,
and that explains the "recent memory" part.

- --Lou Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://clem.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>