Topic: Help with limit problem?
Replies: 12   Last Post: Sep 15, 2007 11:09 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: Help with limit problem?

In article <s7ede3d44iftv6e0r72q0s6km4ihoc3d48@4ax.com>,
<me@privacy.net> wrote:
>Taking Calc 1
>
>One problem I'm working on is to find Limit as x
>approaches zero for x raised to 4 power minus one over
>x raised to three power minus one
>
>I'm stuck trying to factor it1
>
>Advice?

Synthetic or long division. If a polynomial p(x) evaluates to 0 when
you plug in a number a, then x-a divides p(x).

In this case, both x^4 - 1 and x^3 - 1 evaluate to 0 when you plug in
1, so you can factor x-1 from both. Do long division to see what you
get, cancel the factor of x-1 from the quotient, lather, rinse, and
repeat.

"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about
what I accept as reality."
--- Calvin ("Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson)

Arturo Magidin
magidin-at-member-ams-org