Topic: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Replies: 116   Last Post: Sep 22, 2007 5:58 PM

Russell Easterly

Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega

On Sep 12, 8:35 pm, William Hughes <wpihug...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 10:42 pm, logic...@comcast.net wrote:
>

> > Let <m,n> be an element of F.
> > Since m is an element of A and
> > n is an element of B, we can write <a_m,b_n>.

> > If x is an element of both A and B then
> > there must exist an element of F
> > such that the x in A is paired with
> > some element of B, like <x,b_n>.
> > Similarly, the x in B must be paired
> > with some element of A, like <a_m,x>.

> > If x is paired with itself in F,
> > then <a_m,x> = <x,b_n> = <x,x>.
> > This is the case for w in the
> > bijection defined above.
> > <a_m,w> = <w,b_n> = <w,w>.

> > Assume x is not paired with itself in F.
>
> > I can create a new bijection, G,
> > where x is paired with itself by
> > replacing the elements <a_m,x>
> > and <x,b_n> in F with <x,x> and <a_m,b_n>

> > Call this new bijection G(x).
> > Assume the elements of X can be ordered.

> > G(x_i+1) = G(x_i)
> > - {<x_i+1,n>, <m,x_i+1>}
> > + {<x_i+1,x_i+1>,<m,n>}

> > where m and n are whatever elements of A and B
> > are paired with x_i+1 in G(x_i).

> > F = { <0,1>, <1,2>, <2,3>, <3,4>, ..., <w,w> }
>
> > G(1) = { <0,2>, <1,1>, <2,3>, <3,4>, ..., <w,w> }
> > G(2) = { <0,3>, <1,1>, <2,2>, <3,4>, ..., <w,w> }

> > G(w) = { <0,z>, <1,1>, <2,2>, <3,3>, ..., <w,w> }

> z must be a natural number less than w, and greater than
> any natural number. Thus z does not exist. Thus G(w)
> does not exist.

z must be an element of some pair in F.

Let A' = B' = w+1
Let F' be a bijection of w+1 to itself
that is not the identity function.

F' = {<0,w>, <w,0>, <1,1>, <2,2>, ...}

X' = A' intersect B' = w+1

G'(0) = {<0,0>, <1,1>, <2,2>, ..., <w,w>}
G'(1) = {<0,0>, <1,1>, <2,2>, ..., <w,w>}
G'(2) = {<0,0>, <1,1>, <2,2>, ..., <w,w>}
G'(w) = {<0,0>, <1,1>, <2,2>, ..., <w,w>}

Are you saying G'(w) doesn't exist?

Russell
- 2 many 2 count

Date Subject Author
9/3/07
Read No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/3/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Chris Menzel
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Elliot
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Elliot
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Patricia Shanahan
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
David C. Ullrich
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Mitch
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Patricia Shanahan
9/7/07
Read different sizes of denumerable sets?
George Greene
9/7/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
Alan Smaill
9/12/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
George Greene
9/7/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
Jesse F. Hughes
9/8/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
9/12/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
George Greene
9/12/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
9/12/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
9/12/07
Read Re: different sizes of denumerable sets?
George Greene
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
lwalke3@lausd.net
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
lwalke3@lausd.net
9/10/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/11/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
lwalke3@lausd.net
9/11/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/11/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/11/07
[...]
9/9/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/9/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Ross Finlayson
9/9/07
[...]
William Hughes
9/11/07
[...]
9/13/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/13/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Hughes
9/13/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/13/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Hughes
9/13/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jesse F. Hughes
9/13/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/17/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/17/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/17/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Hughes
9/18/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jesse F. Hughes
9/19/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/19/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Hughes
9/19/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/19/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jesse F. Hughes
9/18/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/20/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Russell Easterly
9/20/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Hughes
9/20/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jesse F. Hughes
9/22/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
reasterly@gmail.com
9/13/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/10/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/10/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/8/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jesse F. Hughes
9/8/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Patricia Shanahan
9/8/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Hughes
9/10/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/9/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
David R Tribble
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
George Greene
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
William Hughes
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Schroeder
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
lwalke3@lausd.net
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/4/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
G. Frege
9/5/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Peter Webb
9/5/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/5/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Daryl McCullough
9/5/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
G. Frege
9/6/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
hagman
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
lwalke3@lausd.net
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/7/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
lwalke3@lausd.net
9/5/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
lwalke3@lausd.net
9/5/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
Jack Markan
9/5/07
Read Re: No Identity Bijection for Omega
herb z
9/5/07