The Math Forum

Topic: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 2:16 PM

Randy Poe

Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations

On Oct 18, 11:05 am, Water Cooler v2 <wtr_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you have, say, 4 boxes to put the following 6 types of things in:
>
> Apples
> Oranges
> Pears
> Bananas
> Gooseberry
> Lemon
>
> Such that you could:
>
> a) only put one piece of each of the things in one box; and
>
> b) you could put the same thing in all the boxes, i.e you could put,
> say, an apple each in each of the boxes. In the mathematical jargon,
> if repetition was allowed
>
> Then, I know that we could have 6*6*6*6, i.e 1296 permutations.
>
> However, I want to know the algorithm to decide what those
> combinations are. Help appreciated.

for fruit1=apples to lemon
for fruit2=apples to lemon
for fruit3=apples to lemon
for fruit4=apples to lemon
print: (fruit1,fruit2,fruit3,fruit4)
end
end
end
end

Easily implemented recursively and generalized to
an arbitrary number of boxes if you have a
language that supports recursion.

- Randy

Date Subject Author
10/18/07
Read Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hardwidg
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Robert Israel
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Bernier
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Breton
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Harter
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Marshall
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patricia Shanahan
briggs@encompasserve.org
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hagman
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
rossum
10/20/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Grouchy