The Math Forum

Topic: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 2:16 PM

Water Cooler v2

Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations

On Oct 18, 4:26 pm, Randy Poe <poespam-t...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 11:05 am, Water Cooler v2 <wtr_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > If you have, say, 4 boxes to put the following 6 types of things in:
>
> > Apples
> > Oranges
> > Pears
> > Bananas
> > Gooseberry
> > Lemon

> > Such that you could:
>
> > a) only put one piece of each of the things in one box; and
>
> > b) you could put the same thing in all the boxes, i.e you could put,
> > say, an apple each in each of the boxes. In the mathematical jargon,
> > if repetition was allowed

> > Then, I know that we could have 6*6*6*6, i.e 1296 permutations.
>
> > However, I want to know the algorithm to decide what those
> > combinations are. Help appreciated.

> for fruit1=apples to lemon
> for fruit2=apples to lemon
> for fruit3=apples to lemon
> for fruit4=apples to lemon
> print: (fruit1,fruit2,fruit3,fruit4)
> end
> end
> end
> end
>
> Easily implemented recursively and generalized to
> an arbitrary number of boxes if you have a
> language that supports recursion.
>
> - Randy

Thanks very much, Randy. I already had that in mind to start off with.
I thought it would be too cumbersome as in the actual problem I have
at hand, the number of "fruits" are about 255 and the number of boxes,
about 60. But you've reminded me that I could use recursion, so
thanks. Instead of the 255 for loops, I could use a recursive
function.

Just a side note, is there a more efficient algorithm than the one
above? Will the above algorithm not be too expensive for about 255
fruits and about 60 odd boxes? That would be 255 instances of the same
function, each with their own stack of a minimum of 60 variables, each
doing a lot of "string concatenation", which in and of itself is very
expensive.

Date Subject Author
10/18/07
Read Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hardwidg
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Robert Israel
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Bernier
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Breton
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Harter
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Marshall
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patricia Shanahan
briggs@encompasserve.org
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hagman
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
rossum
10/20/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Grouchy