The Math Forum

Topic: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 2:16 PM

hardwidg

Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations

On Oct 18, 10:33 am, Water Cooler v2 <wtr_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I thought it would be too cumbersome as in the actual problem I have
> at hand, the number of "fruits" are about 255 and the number of boxes,
> about 60.

I don't think any algorithm can ever finish, since it sounds like you
want to list 255^60 entries, which is greater than 10^144.

The universe has something like 10^80 atoms and is less than 10^18
seconds old.

Even if you had every atom working for the life of the universe, you'd
still need them to create 10^46 entries each second! Even if they
could make one entry per Planck time, you'll still only be able to
create about 1/1000 of the entries!

--
Mark

Date Subject Author
10/18/07
Read Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hardwidg
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Robert Israel
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Bernier
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Breton
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Harter
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Marshall
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patricia Shanahan
briggs@encompasserve.org
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hagman
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
rossum
10/20/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Grouchy