The Math Forum

Topic: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 2:16 PM

Robert Israel

Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations

Proginoskes <CCHeckman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 18, 2:36 pm, Richard Heathfield <r...@see.sig.invalid> wrote:
> > hardwidg said:

> > > I don't think any algorithm can ever finish, since it sounds like you
> > > want to list 255^60 entries, which is greater than 10^144.

> > > The universe has something like 10^80 atoms and is less than 10^18
> > > seconds old.

> > > Even if you had every atom working for the life of the universe, you'd
> > > still need them to create 10^46 entries each second! Even if they
> > > could make one entry per Planck time, you'll still only be able to
> > > create about 1/1000 of the entries!

> > Just use a quantum computer to tap into the computational potential of
> > infinitely many universes. Total runtime: about a sixteenth of a second
> > (i.e. as long as it takes you to realise that it's finished).

> The only problem is that the output is spread across 10^144 universes.
> Compiling the list in one universe will require all the time that you
> saved by spreading out the work.
>
> Of course, if you had connections from each quantum universe to ours,
> then they could write their output all at the same time, and it would
> work.

It would? Where in this universe would they put the output? We don't have
enough atoms to write each entry on an existing atom. And if their output
involves adding new atoms to our universe, it'll make things rather crowded...
and have very serious effects on space-time.
--
Robert Israel israel@math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel

Date Subject Author
10/18/07
Read Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hardwidg
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Robert Israel
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Bernier
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Breton
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Harter
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Marshall
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patricia Shanahan
briggs@encompasserve.org
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hagman
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
rossum
10/20/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Grouchy