The Math Forum

Topic: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 2:16 PM

David Bernier

Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations

> On Oct 18, 5:09 pm, Robert Israel
> <isr...@math.MyUniversitysInitials.ca> wrote:

> > Proginoskes <CCHeck...@gmail.com> writes:

> the actual problem I have
> 255 and the number of boxes,

> since it sounds like you
> than 10^144.

> and is less than 10^18

> life of the universe, you'd
> second! Even if they
> still only be able to

> computational potential of
> a sixteenth of a second
> it's finished).
> >
> > > The only problem is that the output is spread
> across 10^144 universes.
> > > Compiling the list in one universe will require
> all the time that you
> > > saved by spreading out the work.
> >
> > > Of course, if you had connections from each
> quantum universe to ours,
> > > then they could write their output all at the
> same time, and it would
> > > work.
> >
> > It would? Where in this universe would they put

> the output? We don't have
> > enough atoms to write each entry on an existing
> atom. And if their output
> > involves adding new atoms to our universe, it'll
> make things rather crowded...
> > and have very serious effects on space-time.

[Proginoskes: ]
> That's right ... This is a finite-matter universe.
> ... It gets so
> confusing when you hop from one to another, doesn't
> it?

From the slides for a talk by Alan Guth, originator
of inflationary models in cosmology:

"If inflation happens once, an /infinite/ number of
universes are produced."

cf.: page '10', starting at:
< http://pauli.physics.lsa.umich.edu/w/arch/som/sto2001/Guth/real/sld002.htm >

P.S.: I think these sub-universes are sometimes
called "bubble universes". But I still don't
understand how and when they would
break off from the rest. Page 10
of the slides has a figure which looks like
negatives of the first steps in forming
the Cantor set.

David Bernier

Date Subject Author
10/18/07
Read Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hardwidg
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Robert Israel
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Bernier
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Breton
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Harter
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Marshall
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patricia Shanahan
briggs@encompasserve.org
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hagman
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
rossum
10/20/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Grouchy