The Math Forum

Topic: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 2:16 PM

mensanator

Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations

On Oct 19, 4:34 am, Patrick Hamlyn <p...@multipro.N_OcomSP_AM.au>
wrote:
> "mensana...@aol.com" <mensana...@aol.com> wrote:
> >But that includes ALL combinations. Sounds more
> >like th OP wants the 1000th combination of just
> >the 4-digit base 6 numbers.

> >base10: 1000 base6: 4344
> >But...
> >base6: 4344 is the 785th 4-digit base 6 number
> >The 1000th 4-digit base 6 number...
> >...is 5343.

> If your teacher in grade school ever asked you to count to 5 using the fingers
> on one hand I suspect you told him you only had four :>

Yes, I realized I was discounting leading 0's but shouldn't
have been. I was more concerned getting my program to work.

> --
> Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
> Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere
> Moderator: polyforms group (polyforms-subscr...@egroups.com)

Date Subject Author
10/18/07
Read Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hardwidg
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Robert Israel
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Bernier
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Breton
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Harter
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Marshall
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patricia Shanahan
briggs@encompasserve.org
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hagman
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
rossum
10/20/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Grouchy