The Math Forum

Topic: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 21, 2007 2:16 PM

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian

Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 19:09:06 -0500, Robert Israel wrote:

> Proginoskes <CCHeckman@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Just use a quantum computer to tap into the computational potential of
>> > infinitely many universes. Total runtime: about a sixteenth of a second
>> > (i.e. as long as it takes you to realise that it's finished).

>> The only problem is that the output is spread across 10^144 universes.
>> Compiling the list in one universe will require all the time that you
>> saved by spreading out the work.
>>
>> Of course, if you had connections from each quantum universe to ours,
>> then they could write their output all at the same time, and it would
>> work.

> It would? Where in this universe would they put the output? We don't have
> enough atoms to write each entry on an existing atom. And if their output
> involves adding new atoms to our universe, it'll make things rather crowded...
> and have very serious effects on space-time.

You'd cache the answer to dynamic storage in the aether, and simply
download it on an as-needed basis. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Date Subject Author
10/18/07
Read Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Water Cooler v2
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hardwidg
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Robert Israel
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Bernier
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/21/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Randy Poe
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
David Breton
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Proginoskes
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Harter
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Marshall
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patricia Shanahan
briggs@encompasserve.org
10/18/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
hagman
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Patrick Hamlyn
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Richard Heathfield
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
mensanator
10/19/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
rossum
10/20/07
Read Re: Algorithm for deriving permutations
Grouchy