The Math Forum

Topic: Random numbers
Replies: 64   Last Post: Dec 24, 2007 1:04 PM

simple.popeye@gmail.com

Re: Random numbers

On Dec 23, 12:52 am, no comment <adler.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 22, 10:43 am, vr <simple.pop...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 22, 11:35 pm, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:

> > > Yes, T is not uniformly distributed in its range.
>
> > Ok. But if S_n is guaranted to be uniformly distributed in the range 1
> > to 5, then doesn't it mean the sum of 7 such numbers will also get
> > distributed over 7 to 35? I'm just curious. Thanks.

> The sum is not uniformly distributed over the integers from 7 to 35.
> Imagine for example tossing two fair dice.  We are familiar with the
> fact that the sum is not uniformly distributed over the integers from
> 2 to 12: a sum of 2 is much less likely than a sum of 7.
>
> In general, let n be a fixed positive integer, and let T_1, T_2, ...,
> T_n be independent reandom variables, each uniformly distributed oover
> the integers from 1 to 5.  Let f be any function of n variables, and
> let X = f(T_1, T_2, ..., T_n).  Then X cannot be uniformly distributed
> over the integers from 1 to 7.  So any algorithm to produce a random
> variable uniformly distributed over the integers from 1 to 7 from
> independent random variables uniformly distributed over the integers
> from 1 to 5 must use a "variable" n.  Some of the algorithms that have
> been proposed above do indeed use such a variable n, and work.

Got it. Is this applicable only for finite possibilities such as an
integer interval? or is it valid for reals too? I think not, because
any specific real number has zero chance of getting hit, but we still
get some random real numbers (!).

-vr

Date Subject Author
12/21/07