The Math Forum

Topic: Random numbers
Replies: 64   Last Post: Dec 24, 2007 1:04 PM

simple.popeye@gmail.com

Re: Random numbers

On Dec 23, 2:03 am, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:17:53 -0800 (PST), vr <simple.pop...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Of course, that's assuming S is a uniformly distributed integer
> >> variable on {1,2,3,4,5}.

> >> If instead, S is a uniformly distributed continuous variable on (1,5)
> >> then we can ask -- what's that chance of getting a result more than
> >> 34? It should be at least 1/28, right? But it's easily seen to be a
> >> lot less than that (the probability is bounded above by  1/2^(14)).

> >I understand the problem with the intger sum. But for the sum of
> >reals, If there is a non-uniformity I think it is due to finite number
> >of double precision numbers available in the given interval.

> No, nothing to do with that.
>
> Assume S is a true continuous, random number generator, with uniform
> distribution (1,5).
>
> But T is the _sum_ of 7 independently generated values of S.  While
> its range is (7,35), it is definitely not uniformly distributed. The
> bias is towards the mean (21), and away from the ends (7 and 35).
>
> If T was uniformly distributed, the probability of T > 34 would be
> exactly 1/28. However the only way T can exceed 34 is if all of the 7
> generated S values exceed 4 (a necessary but not sufficient
> condition).
>
> But in fact, since the probability that an S value exceeds 4 is 1/4,
> the probability that T exceeds 34 must be less than (1/4)^7, or
> 1/2^(14).

But if you consider that probability that an S value exceeds (4 + 6/7)
is 1/28. And any value of S exceeding (4 + 6/7) results in T value
exceeding 34, isn't it?

Why did you say it is (1/4)^7? Definitely I'm poor in probability
department.

- vr

Date Subject Author
12/21/07