Topic: eigenvector
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 16, 2013 4:38 AM

John D'Errico

Re: eigenvector

dofour <dofour@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<16976388.1204166901909.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org>...
> Matlab gives the eigenvectors with norm 1, I want the first eigenvector to
be [1 1 1]. I don't know how to it from Matlab's eigenvectors

> Thanks

Again, you can't ensure that an eigenvector will be
some specific vector, because in general, you can't
ensure that that vector is an eigenvector. You can't
just decide to pick some vector as an eigenvector,
at least not unless your matrix has a specific
property, like all of its eigenvalues are equal. And
in that case, ANY set of orthogonal vectors will
suffice.

Do you know that [1 1 1] is an eigenvector? If so,
then it will be scaled to have norm 1. So just rescale
the vector. WTP?

John