The Math Forum

Topic: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Replies: 35   Last Post: Jun 18, 2008 9:58 AM

jmahoney@pvcsd.org

Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
att1.html (5.1 K)

Isn't the testing program mandated by NCLB? Seems that SED is making
sure we are in compliance with NCLB.

Joe Mahoney
Teacher of Mathematics
Putnam Valley HS
Putnam Valley, NY 10579
845.526.7847
www.os4e.com/pvcsd/pvhs/jmahoney

On Feb 28, 2008, at 8:54 AM, Robert Hazen wrote:

> Hello to all our subscribers. There are over 700 of us on these
> lists.
>
> I became one of the participants in the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)
> program when I joined their Give One Get One program. Their wiki
> is used to keep participants up to date on what is happening with
> OLPC around the world, and offers opportunities for educators to
> share and learn.
>
> Today I came accross an article by Marvin Minsky (http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Minsky) entitled "What makes
> Mathematics hard to learn?" (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
> Marvin_Minsky#What_makes_Mathematics_hard_to_learn.3F ) He raises
> some very thought provoking comments in several key areas of math
> education/study.
>
> I am suggesting that many of us here on the AMTNYS discussion lists
> should read the article and discuss some of the implications as
> they relate to NYS curriculum, and the ubiquitous testing that has
> permeated our schools. It might also be appropriate for some of
> the discussions, around what Minsky says about Algebra concepts,
> take place on Kate Nowak's Algebra Wiki that has been discussed
> within this forum. (http://nysalgebrareview.pbwiki.com/)
>
> Just my 2 cents. Feel free to react, or ignore. ;o)
>
> Bob Hazen
> AMTNYS Web Editor
> robertjhazen@verizon.net
> mysite.verizon.net/robertjhazen
> ******
> "It's never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
> ******
> To see a world in a grain of sand; And a heaven in a wild flower;
> Hold infinity in the palm of your hand; And eternity in an hour. -
> William Blake (from Auguries of Innocence, c.1800)

Date Subject Author
2/28/08
Read What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Robert Hazen
2/28/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
jmahoney@pvcsd.org
2/28/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
sherry
2/28/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Robert Hazen
2/29/08
Read Re: What Makes Math Hard to Learn?
Thomas Prichard
5/15/08
Read Guess and Check
Ryley David
5/15/08
Read RE: Guess and Check
Bob Cote
5/16/08
Read RE: Guess and Check
CRANNELL, ELIZABETH A.
5/18/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
vzeeb76x@verizon.net
5/18/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
sherry
5/19/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
Stelios Orfanidis
5/19/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
Tom Kenyon
5/19/08
Read Re: Guess and Check
Stelios Orfanidis
5/19/08
Read RE: Guess and Check
Ryley David
5/20/08
Read Integrated Algebra
Don
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra
LDodd@alli.wnyric.org
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra
Leslie Tanner
5/20/08
Read RE: Integrated Algebra
Don
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra
Tony George
5/21/08
Read RE: Integrated Algebra
Ryley David
5/20/08
Read Re: Integrated Algebra/special request
Tom Kenyon
5/21/08
Read RE: special request
Kate Nowak