Topic: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Replies: 119   Last Post: Mar 7, 2008 2:39 AM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education

Adrian wrote (in part):

> On the other hand, Spivak seems to cover next
> to nothing compared to most Calculus texts when
> it comes to topics. It doesn't look like there
> is any multivariable calculus in it, for instance.
> (That must be why people favor other texts like
> Apostol. Personally, I would rather have Spivak
> based on my limited experience with the two.)

Apostol's volume 1 is single-variable and his
volume 2 is multi-variable. Spivak's text was
intended to be for a 2-semester single-variable
calculus sequence at the honors level, not for
the entire elementary calculus sequence.

I liked your analysis of the texts, by the way.
Although I probably don't agree with everything
you said (or maybe I do, I don't know; but that's
not what I want to discuss now), it's nice to see
someone in here actually discuss the content of
a text rather than just say it's bad or it's good.

I may write more later, but for now I'll say that
my favorite "honors level" one-variable calculus
texts are:

#1. Spivak's calculus text.

#2. Ricahrd Courant and Fritz John, "Introduction
to Calculus and Analysis", volume 1.

#3. Richard Courant and Herbert Robbins, "What is
Mathematics?", second half of the book.

#4. Apostol's calculus text, volume 1.

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
2/25/08
Read The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
2/25/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Michael Paul Goldenberg
2/26/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
2/25/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Haim
2/26/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
2/27/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
2/28/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Louis Talman
2/28/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Michael Paul Goldenberg
3/1/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
3/2/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Louis Talman
3/2/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
3/3/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Louis Talman
3/4/08
[...]
3/5/08
[...]
3/6/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
3/5/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Bishop, Wayne
3/5/08
[...]
3/7/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Louis Talman
3/4/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
3/4/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
3/4/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Michael Paul Goldenberg
3/4/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
3/4/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Michael Paul Goldenberg
2/29/08
[...]
Pragmatic
2/27/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Michael Paul Goldenberg
2/26/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Kirby Urner
2/27/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Louis Talman
2/27/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
2/27/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
frank
2/28/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Steve Cooke
2/29/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Michael Paul Goldenberg
2/29/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Bishop, Wayne
2/29/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Michael Paul Goldenberg
3/1/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Paul A. Tanner III
2/29/08
Read Re: The Unapologetic Mathematician: More math education
Richard Strausz
2/29/08
[...]
Adrian
3/3/08
[...]