The Math Forum

Topic: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Replies: 28   Last Post: Mar 14, 2008 8:32 PM

G. Frege

Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Tonico <Tonicopm@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> "In graph theory, a tree is a graph in which any two vertices are
>> connected by /exactly one/ path."
>>

> Where did you get that definition from?

Wikipedia. Entry "Tree (graph theory)".

> According to it, the perimeter of a triangle is a tree...
> which, of course, it is not.

Wait a second. If the nodes of your triangle were, say a, b, c then
(say) a, b would be connected by more than one path:

p_1 = ((a,b), (b,c), (c,a))

p_2 = ((a,b), (b,c), (c,a), (a,b), (b,c), (c,a))
[ or
p_3 = ((a,c), (c,b), (b,a)) ]

See?

> A tree is a connected graph without any cycles. Period. This is not an
> "alternative" definition to the nonsense written above.

Well... sure? See my (part of an) "argument" from above.

F.

--

E-mail: info<at>simple-line<dot>de

Date Subject Author
3/11/08
Read An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
briggs@encompasserve.org
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
David R Tribble
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
LudovicoVan