The Math Forum

Topic: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Replies: 28   Last Post: Mar 14, 2008 8:32 PM

David R Tribble

Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node

Tony Orlow wrote:
> If we look at the children of this subroot node, they include the root,
> as well as the subroot itself. That's an interesting...twist, or loop, as one might
> call it.
>
> So, in conclusion, the "complete" binary tree includes not only a root
> node, but a subroot node, which is its own parent, akin to the missing
> fifth of a point on the top of the pyramid.

The root node of a tree has no parent (by definition), so if your
"root" node has a parent, it cannot be the root node of the tree.

This thing you're describing is not a tree (because a tree
does not contain cycles), so you really should find a
different name for it. T-tree? Rootless tree? Rootful tree?
Tooth tree?

(It appears you may be confusing abstract trees with heirarchical
file systems, which share many of the properties of trees but
which are not true mathematical trees, but graphs.)

Date Subject Author
3/11/08
Read An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
briggs@encompasserve.org
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
David R Tribble
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
LudovicoVan