The Math Forum

Topic: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Replies: 28   Last Post: Mar 14, 2008 8:32 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node

David R Tribble wrote:

> (It appears you may be confusing abstract trees with
> heirarchical
> file systems, which share many of the properties of
> trees but
> which are not true mathematical trees, but graphs.)

You know, here we might see a clash of disciplines.

In computational theory, a Graph is a subset of a Tree, i.e. the other way round.

Indeed, each time you do work on a Graph, what you start from is your "starting node" (you have to peek one), so that in our treatment (and I mean the actual algorithms) Graph Theory is a specialization of Tree Theory.

The arbitrariness, or rather the contingency, of your choice, is what makes a Graph a weak form of Tree.

Julio

Date Subject Author
3/11/08
Read An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
briggs@encompasserve.org
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
David R Tribble
3/14/08