The Math Forum

Topic: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Replies: 28   Last Post: Mar 14, 2008 8:32 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London
Registered: 2/8/08
Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node

P.S.

Julio wrote:

> David R Tribble wrote:
>

> > (It appears you may be confusing abstract trees
> with
> > heirarchical
> > file systems, which share many of the properties

> of
> > trees but
> > which are not true mathematical trees, but

> graphs.)
>
> You know, here we might see a clash of disciplines.
>
> In computational theory, a Graph is a subset of a
> Tree, i.e. the other way round.
>
> Indeed, each time you do work on a Graph, what you
> start from is your "starting node" (you have to peek
> one), so that in our treatment (and I mean the actual
> algorithms) Graph Theory is a specialization of Tree
> Theory.
>
> The arbitrariness, or rather the contingency, of your
> choice, is what makes a Graph a weak form of Tree.

To complement that, I would also point out that even in treating graphs, you need your dummies.

> Julio

Julio

Date Subject Author
3/11/08
Read An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Virgil
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
J. Antonio Perez M.
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
G. Frege
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/11/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
briggs@encompasserve.org
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
Tony Orlow
3/14/08
Read Re: An Argument for the Subroot Node
David R Tribble
3/14/08