Topic: Late homework and extra time policies
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 22, 2008 2:05 PM

VERN TENNEY

Re: Late homework and extra time policies
att1.html (7.7 K)

I was not going to respond because what works for one teacher may not work for others.

Here is what I do. Tests count 75% of their grade and 25% is homework

For tests: I make up a review test, they do it, we go over next class day and then they get the test the following day. If a student does not finish the test, they stay in the room , finishes it then go on to their next class. Most teachers do not object to me taking a few minutes from their class. I end up doing the same thing.

For homework: I type up partial notes and during class we do the discussion and finish the notes. The homework pages and problem numbers are typed on the paper. Odd numbered problems have answers in the back so I expect students to do the steps, work whatever and check the answers in the book. Instant feedback. I expect homework to be correct before it is handed in so students may see me for extra help to arrive at the book answers. Students have more time to do/fix any mistakes. This sometimes gets to be difficult with the paper work. I encourage students to come into my room and work with me and with their friends to learn the concepts and be familiar with the algebra

Some students like this way of learning math and others still think to copy others work but it soon becomes obvious who is not doing their part.

vern
Of Hammondsport