Topic: ?User Friendliness of free mathware?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 26, 2008 12:14 AM

toni.lassila@gmail.com

Re: ?User Friendliness of free mathware?

On Apr 25, 9:48 am, stargene <starg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I need to find and download one of the free numerical-analysis-
> software, to solve blocks of non-linear algebraic equations.
> None of the sites I've researched gives any idea of how
> difficult or easy any of these systems are to actually use. I'm
> hoping that some of you have experience with one or more of
> these softwares and can help me out.
>
> Ie: Once set up, are they straightforward to use or do I need to
> have a genius programmer/hacker at my elbow to continually
> stay my hand from hideous error and blowing up the program?!
>
> I've studied some general articles on the net. Wikipedia has
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numerical_analysis_software
>
> which is a list of lots of the mathware that are available, like
> GNU Octave, Perl Data Language and FreeMat.

Octave has simple Matlab-like syntax and the routine 'fsolve'
for solving non-linear equations:

http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/textbooks/octave/octave_19.html

Can't imagine it being much simpler than that, provided that
the solver works on your particular equations.