Topic: ?User Friendliness of free mathware?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 26, 2008 12:14 AM

stargene@sbcglobal.net

Re: ?User Friendliness of free mathware?

On Apr 25, 12:40 am, toni.lass...@gmail.com wrote:

> Octave has simple Matlab-like syntax and the routine 'fsolve'
> for solving non-linear equations:
>
> http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/textbooks/octave/octave_19.html
>
> Can't imagine it being much simpler than that, provided that
> the solver works on your particular equations.

Thanks for the advice. I went to that link. It looks as though
one enters N equations (in as many unknowns, presumably as
"X_1, X_2, X_3...X_N") with all the known parameters, co-
efficients and unknowns all to the right of the = sign and being
set equal to zero (Eg: Y_1, Y_2...Y_N). Then the program
may find unique solutions, if any exist.

Is that more or less correct?
Gene