Topic: a little light humor
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jul 11, 2008 1:49 PM

Evan Romer

Re: a little light humor

I too am glad you brought up the gas mileage question. I thought it was
a very poor question. Excellent idea for a question, but the last time
I checked, "gas mileage" was not part of the IA curriculum, so how can
the state expect students to know what it means? And sure enough, many
did not know what it meant. If they wanted us to teach "gas mileage,"
they should have told us that. Since they didn't tell us that, they
have no business using it on a test.

It's too bad, because the problem is an excellent example of using and
understanding math. But it needed to be written in a way that did not
depend on students knowing that phrase.

(I would also guess that suburban and rural kids would be more likely
to be familiar with it than urban kids, but I don't really know.)

-- Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS

*