Topic: IA Regents #37
Replies: 30   Last Post: Jun 26, 2008 8:30 PM

JDBRAUNSTN@aol.com

Re: IA Regents #37
att1.html (2.6 K)

If yoiu examine the factors that give answers -9 and plus 6 I think you will realize thath the factors are incorrect, since (x+9)(x-6) do not give a sum 15x.? So the regents answer is the only correct one.?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dslederman@aol.com
To: nysmathab@mathforum.org
Sent: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 9:39 am
Subject: Re: IA Regents #37

In a message dated 6/18/2008 2:30:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, msedfun@aol.com writes:

The width of the walkway is x.
The length of the walkway is x + 15

The equation for area is:? Length x Width

(x)(x+15) = 54? This is the correct equation, right?

x^2 + 15x = 54

x^2 + 15x - 54 = 0

(x + 9)(x - 6) = 0

x = -9, x = 6

Can someone please tell me where x=3 came from in the scoring guide?? According to most of my students, the width = 6, and the length? = 21.? One of my students did the problem using perimeter instead of area, and came up with 6 and 21 as well.? Have I been looking at too many papers, or are 3 and 18 incorrect in the scoring guide?

x^2 + 15x -54 = (x + 18)(x - 3)..which leads to x = 3 (rejecting x = - 18).

?

David Lederman

06-18-08