Topic: a little light humor
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jul 11, 2008 1:49 PM

Sharon

From: NYC
Registered: 6/26/05
Re: a little light humor
att1.html (3.2 K)

On Long Island, many homes have rectangular walkways, where the rectangle is outlined in bricks, and the area within the rectangle is cement.? So if I lived in Long Island, and all the walkways I saw had bricks around the perimeter, might I not assume that although the problem said 54 SQUARE feet of brick, that I might have to find perimeter?? I'm not saying that this is the correct way to interpret a problem, but if SED is giving REAL LIFE APPLICATION - then these kids didn't get a fair shake.

Sharon

And then the thought process is - how could it be a RECTANGULAR walkway if it
is around a garden? Aha! Rectangular means it has the shape of a rectangle.
Much younger students can tell you that.