Topic: using matlab in batch mode
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 8, 2008 4:02 AM

Ray

Re: using matlab in batch mode

roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in
message <g4she2$ec1$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>...
0eb384bf20df@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
> mauro <mauro.australia@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >I tried this, but it opens anyway the "desktop", and
there is this
> >message:
> >"??? Undefined variable "testRemote" or

class "testRemote.m"."
> >I called "testRemote.m" a little matlab test program,
and I launched
> >exactly this
> >matlab -nosplash -r testRemote.m
> >from the same directory where testRemote.m is!!!

> You need to leave off the '.m'. Without the .m the -r

argument
> becomes the command to execute (through the normal command
> resolution procedure, which includes looking for

functions).
> With the .m the -r argument became a request to display
the
> field named 'm' of the structure named 'testRemote'.
>

> >I also tried:
> >matlab -nosplash -r testRemote
> >but the same result!

> >I'm using Linux, but I don't think it is because of that
(or at least
> >I hope so).
>
> You specifically said "PC" in your original message. A

personal computer
> running Linux is usually referred to a "desktop", not as
a "PC"
> (which implies Windows.)
>
> The startup options for Matlab are slightly different for

Linux;
> the documentation I referred you to listed them. In
particular on
> Linux if you do not want graphics to come up, you should
use
> the '-nodesktop' option as well as -nosplash
>
> matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r FunctionName
>
> --
> "The human mind is so strangely capricious, that, when

freed from
> the pressure of real misery, it becomes open and
sensitive to the
> ideal apprehension of ideal calamities." --
Sir Walter Scott

Funny how your question is so similar to mine. I actually
got it to work in the batch mode on a PC using the previous
suggestions:

matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r FunctionName

However, the function I am starting needs 6 arguments, with
the first 3 being floating point numbers and the last 3
being strings. I've tried every weird permutation I can
think of but the values I put in just never get through:

matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r FunctionName arg1 arg2 arg3
etc.

What's the secret (and is it documented anywhere)? version
R2006b.

Thanks,
Ray