Topic: using matlab in batch mode
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 8, 2008 4:02 AM

Ray

Re: using matlab in batch mode

"Titus" <titus.edelhofer@mathworks.de> wrote in message
<g4sqds$lu8$1@fred.mathworks.com>...

> "Ray " <RayMitchell@MeanOldTeacher.com> schrieb im

Newsbeitrag
> > roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in
> > message <g4she2$ec1$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>...

> >> In article <d91c5c5c-8e72-4ea6-849e-
> > 0eb384bf20df@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

> > there is this

> > class "testRemote.m"."
> > and I launched

> >> You need to leave off the '.m'. Without the .m the -r

> > argument
> >> becomes the command to execute (through the normal
command
> >> resolution procedure, which includes looking for
> > functions).
> >> With the .m the -r argument became a request to display
> > the
> >> field named 'm' of the structure named 'testRemote'.

that
> > (or at least
> >>
> >> You specifically said "PC" in your original message. A

> > personal computer
> >> running Linux is usually referred to a "desktop", not
as
> > a "PC"
> >> (which implies Windows.)
> >>
> >> The startup options for Matlab are slightly different

for
> > Linux;
> >> the documentation I referred you to listed them. In
> > particular on
> >> Linux if you do not want graphics to come up, you
should
> > use
> >> the '-nodesktop' option as well as -nosplash
> >>
> >> matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r FunctionName
> >>
> >> --
> >> "The human mind is so strangely capricious, that,

when
> > freed from
> >> the pressure of real misery, it becomes open and
> > sensitive to the
> >> ideal apprehension of ideal calamities." --
> > Sir Walter Scott
> >

> > Funny how your question is so similar to mine. I

actually
> > got it to work in the batch mode on a PC using the
previous
> > suggestions:
> >
> > matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r FunctionName
> >
> > However, the function I am starting needs 6 arguments,

with
> > the first 3 being floating point numbers and the last 3
> > being strings. I've tried every weird permutation I can
> > think of but the values I put in just never get through:
> >
> > matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r FunctionName arg1 arg2

arg3
> > etc.
> >
> > What's the secret (and is it documented anywhere)?

version
> > R2006b.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ray

> Hi Ray,
>
> the command after the "-r" is what you would type at the

command window,
> therefore:
>
> matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -r myFunction

(1,pi,42,'hello','MATLAB', 'World')

> Titus

Titus,

You're absolutely correct. I could have sworn I tried that
format, but obviously something was different because it
works now! Thanks for your help.

Ray