Topic: second largest element in a matrix
Replies: 32   Last Post: May 5, 2013 10:31 AM

stephanie

Re: second largest element in a matrix

"Oluwa KuIse" <wespeakforex@yahoo.com> wrote in message <gav3p9$som$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hello,
> Can anyone pls tell me how I can find the second (or third) largest element in a matrix AND its position. The max function gives the largest element and its position but how do I find the second largest element and its position?

There are 2 rudimentary ways that I can think of off the top of my head...none of them are optimal though..

1. Use max to find the largest element, then set this element to -Inf. Then use max again to find the 'next'(ie, second) largest element and its position.

This method is definitely only a quick heck, and not suitable for looking for the Nth largest element in case N in large.

2. Sort the matrix, then you will know the value of the second largest element, then use 'find' to get the position of this element.

Hope this helps,
stephanie

Date Subject Author
9/18/08
Read second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
stephanie
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Steven Lord
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Pekka
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/21/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Greg Heath
9/24/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Walter Roberson
3/4/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Justin
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Jos
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/7/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/7/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Paul
11/7/12
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
sssbi2009@gmail.com
11/19/12
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
dpb
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Paul
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Walter Roberson
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
tilindg1@gmail.com
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Nasser Abbasi
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
dpb
5/5/13