Topic: fourth grade geometry question???
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 3, 2008 3:14 PM

Steve Cooke

Re: fourth grade geometry question???

> On 28 Aug 02 23:22:36 -0400 (EDT), Diane wrote:

> > Draw a quadrangle that has 2 pairs of equal sides
> but is NOT a
> > parallelogram.
> > Does this seem like 4th grade to anyone? I finally

> got the answer but
> > we have no book to use as a reference.

Another take on this question since I am sure it will come up again:

Start with a pair of equal sides that share a common vertex. Imagine the two equal sides of an isosceles triangle without the base. Now creates a second pair but with the length different from the first.

Now that you have two pair of sides, each pair having the same length, how can you join them? You can set them so the open end of each has the same span and point them away from each other like this "<>" to make what is called a kite. Is that the only way? You can also turn them with the smaller pair inside the larger like this ">>" to make what is called a dart.

Are those the only combinations with those two pairs? If instead of two pair of equal length, what if you start with two pair of unequal length but having two common lengths between them. What figure is created by joining those pairs? Have you exhausted all possibilities?