Topic: calc books
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 20, 1997 9:55 PM

Philip D Larson

Re: calc books

On Tue, 20 May 1997 18:55:52 -0400 Joshua Zucker
<zucker@csli.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>We use Anton. We're thinking about what revisions to make in our
>computer-based calculus course to fit in with the new AP curriculum.
>I'm wondering, first of all, if there is any document out there which
>spells out the changes for the 1998 test. And, secondly, Jennifer
>mentions a text by Foerster, but I haven't been able to find it. Do
>you have an ISBN? Are there other texts we ought to be taking a look
>at?

I'm (somewhat) familiar several reform texts. Foerster is from Key
Curriculum Press; the North Carolina School for Science & Mathematics and
Duke project is published by Janson. And the Harvard project text is
published by Wiley, but I think People's Publishing distributes it for
high school. I could get ISBN's if you really needed them.

>In any case, we're not going to go whole hog for calculus reform;
>we're thinking more along the lines of adding extra material, and
>adding different approaches to the traditional material we already
>have.
>
>We will certainly be incorporating more MAPLE than we have now.
>
>--Joshua Zucker
>calculus tutor, Education Program for Gifted Youth, Stanford
>http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~jrz

Phil Larson
Upper Bucks Christian School
Sellersville, PA 18102