Topic: Harvard Calc and "feel good"
Replies: 10   Last Post: Jun 5, 1997 11:35 AM

Philip D Larson

Re: Harvard Calc and "feel good"

Wayne,

:-) Good question, but your view of knowing is mistaken: I don't get to
know only when data is shoved in front of me. Many other things are known
from other sources. That doesn't make other sources of knowledge
"touchy-feely", less reliable, or less valid (unless you have selected
some "touchy-feely" neo-positivist commitments of your own).

No, I haven't given the same exam to both, but maybe I should. If you
thought it would be useful, I'd be very inclined to do so! (But I only
have 2 more weeks of school.)

I can say that there is a body of empirical research supporting the
premise that reform classes vs. traditional classes often score about the
same on traditional measures, but students in the reform classes finish
the course with far richer understandings. This isn't a "feel-good"
conclusion. You could find the literature yourself, of I could help if
you liked.

Phil Larson
754 East Rockhill Road
Upper Bucks Christian School