The Math Forum

Topic: etymology of "totient" ?
Replies: 15   Last Post: Apr 10, 1997 1:09 PM

David Madore

Re: etymology of "totient" ?

Ko-Wei Lih wrote:
> Does any one know the etymology of the word "totient" which is used in
> "Euler's totient function"? Any historical background of why Euler used
> this word is also welcome.
> Ko-Wei Lih

I don't know the answer. I can, however, tell you that the term used in
French is "la fonction indicatrice d'Euler" (Euler's "indicator"
Euler wrote in latin, anyway, so if the word "totient" is his, it would
a translation...

David A. Madore