The Math Forum

Topic: etymology of "totient" ?
Replies: 15   Last Post: Apr 10, 1997 1:09 PM

Eric Gindrup

Re: etymology of "totient" ?

Ko-Wei Lih wrote:
> Does any one know the etymology of the word "totient" which is
> used in "Euler's totient function"? Any historical background
> of why Euler used this word is also welcome.
> Ko-Wei Lih

Well, I don't know the *whole* answer, but here is what I do
know. Euler's \phi function computes the number of totatives of
its integer argument. A totative of n is a unit, x, mod n with
What's the etymology of totative?
-- Eric Gindrup !