Topic: File exchange downloads per author - an odd distribution
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jan 31, 2013 6:44 AM

Oliver Woodford

Re: File exchange downloads per author - an odd distribution

"Image Analyst" <imageanalyst@mailinator.com> wrote in message <gjm0pa$qem$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> When I try to run Oliver's code, I get:
>

> >> s = urlread('http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/authors');
> ??? Error using ==> urlread at 108
> Error downloading URL.
>
> Any idea why I get this error? When I paste the URL into the Address field of Internet Explorer, it works fine (the page comes up in IE6).
>
> I also get the same error for any URL, such as
> s = urlread('http://www.google.com');
>
> I have Proventia Desktop (IBM's software firewall) plus I am going through a Linksys router. Could it be some kind of firewall issue where MATLAB can't get through the firewalls but other programs can?
>
> I'm running MATLAB R2008b on Windows XP, and according to the Java control panel, I have the latest Java software.

I'm going through a Netgear router and it works fine for me. Try doing it after turning off your software firewall (and check the Windows XP firewall is off too). If it works then you should be able to put Matlab on some special list of safe software in the firewall software, and re-enable it.