The Math Forum

Topic: Optimization Project
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 10, 1999 9:49 AM

Lynn Fisher (WOD)

Re: Optimization Project

In regards to Greg's answer, I don't think it's that simple because the problem
isn't simply to minimize area, it's to minimize cost. In fact, since the cost
of the lateral area is less, it's reasonable to assume a contrary
strategy...lower the area of the base and use a larger perimeter.

Here's where I got
A=area of base P=perimeter of base h=height of solid

The cost function c(A,P,h) = .01Ph+.05A

Since h = 355/A

C(A,P) = 3.55P/A + .05A

And I see no relationship between A and P to put this in terms of a single
variable.

I'm rusty on multivariable calculus, but I don't think there's a minimum for
the cost function except if A=0. Anybody better than me at multivariable that
wants to take it from there?

(In sum, I think the problem needs to have specified a regular base in order to
have a solution.)

Lynn Fisher
Woodstock Union HS
Woodstock VT