Topic: Re: Teaching Dev Mathematics Conceptually: practical ideas
Replies: 96   Last Post: May 4, 2009 5:07 AM

kathleen Offenholley

Re: Teaching Dev Mathematics Conceptually: practical ideas
att1.html (6.0 K)

Laura,

Thanks for attempting to get us to focus on the practical.

Here's one I used yesterday, that is an odd, surprising one.

I did order of operations, which almost all of them mostly remembered, even though they are in math 010, developmental pre-algebra, the lowest of the low classes. They drilled it a lot in high school, I think.

So... I told them I would show them WHY this was the order.

I wrote on the board
2+3
2 x 3
2^3

and asked them to calculate each one. There was a little discussion on the last one, that 2^3 was not 6 (sigh) because it really means 2 x 2 x 2. Then the punch line:

The order of operations goes from most powerful to least powerful -- from the thing that matters most and makes the most difference (exponents), to the thing that matters least.

Then we went on to talk about Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally, and how it's misleading because Multiplication and Division are actually tied, as are Addition and Subtraction. But it's a nice mnemonic as long as you remember that. And then we practiced a bunch singly and in pairs.

So... there you go.

I always thought the order of ops was arbitrary, and always taught it that way. But then I remembered that my dad had once told me that in programming, addition was last, because it made the least difference to what you were doing. So I've been pointing this out to students, and I think it makes what looks like an arbitrary idea a little less pointless.

I'll try to add some more of these sometime soon. I hope other people will pitch in.

Kathleen Offenholley
Borough of Manhattan Community College