The Math Forum

Topic: What probability a six-number lottery ticket has 3 consecutive
numbers, the others not?

Replies: 7   Last Post: Feb 12, 2009 11:18 PM

dan73

From: ct
Registered: 6/14/08
Re: What probability a six-number lottery ticket has 3 consecutive numbers, the others not?

> Say you can choose six numbers out of 59. What is the
> probability that
> three (and only three) will be consecutive? This is
> complicated by the
> fact that numbers appear in order from least to
> greatest. What if the
> six numbers contain 2 sets of 3 consecutive numbers?
>
> I'm not finding any easy formula for this.
>
> Thanks!

The odds for drawing 6 numbers from 59 is --
45,057,474 to 1

No matter if it is (1,2,3,4,5,6) or any other
combination you choose it is still though's odds!

Look at it this way.
If you played a certain combination of numbers on
one ticket two drawings a week for your entire
life (50 years legal age) the odds on you winning are much less than 1% no matter what combinations you choose
each drawing.

So lotteries are not a good bet no matter what
scheme you dream up.

Dan