The Math Forum

Topic: Is FinallyFast.com Any Good?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Feb 28, 2009 6:10 AM

mensanator

Re: Is FinallyFast.com Any Good?

On Feb 27, 2:24 pm, Jonathan Groves <JGro...@Kaplan.edu> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have been extremely frustrated with my computer
> lately since it's becoming less and less reliable.
> It froze up on me a couple of weeks ago, this past weekend,
> several days ago, and now twice so far today!
> I am about to begin teaching math online for
> Kaplan University, and the math courses (and many
> others too--not just math) use live seminars,
> and I am beginning to get very worried that this
> new computer of mine will suddenly freeze up on me
> in the middle of a seminar or in the middle of office
> hours with a student.  Kaplan may be willing to
> forgive me if it happens once, but they definitely
> won't keep me if it continues to happen.
> And this computer might threaten other future online
> teaching jobs.  I need some jobs for a while to save
> some money so that I can later apply for tenure-track
> positions elsewhere; I don't have the money right now
> to move anywhere else.  I don't have a car, and teaching
> jobs here in Clarksville, TN, are limited right now since
> the only college here has nothing open right now.
>
> And because of these problems with freezing up,
> I had to turn off the computer manually (since I cannot get
> the thing to respond to my commands to shut down; in some cases
> where I could, the computer won't shut off--even after I had
> waited for more than an hour!), so that is
> another concern: Problems with damaging the computer
> permanently.  If these problems continue to force me
> to do so, I might damage this thing for good!
>
> My old computer is much more reliable, but I don't think
> it's fast enough for online teaching.  So I would like
> to try, if possible, to continue using this one.
>
> I remember seeing that FinallyFast.com offers free
> performance tests; though the commercial directly
> addresses only those whose computers are slow (mine isn't),
> I do remember them saying that the test can detect
> adware, spyware, and other junk files that cause even
> fast computers to freeze up and crash.

I don't know anything about FindFast, but such malware (all
the above plus viruses and Trojans) can do this.

I was plagued by this and symptoms included being locked out
of the Task Manager and the Control Panel. Once I cleared
these up, most of my problems went away. Note, I aquired
these even though I had an anti-virus program running. I have
had to implement further security (turning off a lot of
Internet Explorer options, the most notable being not allowing
ActiveX items to be installed automatically). I get pop-ups
explaining that such-and-such ActiveX control cannot be installed
from EVERYWHERE, good sites and bad. This prevents certain
good things from happening, such as playing a video directly
in a web page, but it hasn't allowed anything bad to happen.

So far.