The Math Forum

Topic: Is FinallyFast.com Any Good?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Feb 28, 2009 6:10 AM

Tim Smith

Re: Is FinallyFast.com Any Good?

In article
<1858429.1235779809863.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org>,
Jonathan Groves <JGroves@Kaplan.edu> wrote:
> A Google search on FinallyFast.com brought up a number of websites
> mentioning that this is a scam. At least one mentioned that their
> references in Forbes, Wall Street Journal, etc. that the commercial
> claims are phony.

I have no idea if FinallyFast actually works or not. I probably should
try it out in a virtual machine sometime, because I work at an
antivirus/antispyware company, so FinallyFast competes with us (because
the biggest cause of slow downs is malware).

However, looking at some of the sites claiming it is a scam, I'm not
impressed with those sites, for three reasons.

1. Some are just poorly researched. I had no trouble finding the
Newsweek and Forbes articules that mentioned Ascentive. (The articles
are not about FinallyFast, though, but an earlier Ascentive product,
from 2002).

2. Some are misusing the word "scam". They don't say anything about how
effective FinallyFast is or not. They just speculate on what it does
(e.g., cleans the registry), and then give lists of free software you
can download to accomplish those tasks, and then say FinallyFast is a
scam because it is charging money for what you do for free.

3. People call pretty much everything a scam, whether or not they have
any evidence. For example, I've seen people post about my company's
antivirus software and call it a scam. Some have called it a scam
because they compared to Norton, and Norton found something we
missed--so we must be a rip off! Some have called it a scam because we
found something Norton missed--obviously a purposefully false positive
to scare them into buying!

When I'm looking for information on a product nowadays, I pretty much
ignore the reviews from sites or people I'm not familiar with. There's
just no good way to tell which are from reasonable people, and which are
from idiots like I mentioned above.

> And I didn't notice that the commerical shows people using Apple
> computers though the commerical says FinallyFast.com is for PC's only
> (which technically, even Apples are PC's, but for some reason, the
> term PC usually applies only to certain ones like those made by
> Dell). I don't know if those are Apple computers or not; perhaps so,
> but I can't say for myself.

Yes, they are obviously Macs. The reason for that is probably that's
what the production company that did the commercial uses. In fact, if
you look around on random TV shows, you'll find a lot of times PCs are
really Macs, often with the Apple logo blocked out.

Even more hilarious, one of the people in the commercial is complaining
about slow gaming. The game he is playing looks like something out of
the '80s. I don't care how infected or slow your computer is--it's
still going to have enough left over power to run that game. Hell, an
abacus could almost run it.

--
--Tim Smith