The Math Forum

Topic: Is FinallyFast.com Any Good?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Feb 28, 2009 6:10 AM

Jonathan Groves

From: Kaplan University, Argosy University, Florida Institute of Technology
Registered: 8/18/05
Re: Is FinallyFast.com Any Good?

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:09:23 EST, Jonathan Groves
> <JGroves@Kaplan.edu>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >By the way, I used Symantec Antivirus to scan the
> >computer, and it revealed nothing. But the one

> person
> >who has responded so far said that he's found
> malware on
> >his computer that antivirus software didn't detect.
> [snip]
>
> If you want to run some more online scans (you said
> Symantec didn't
> find anything), here are some additional sites:
>
> Trend Micro
> <http://housecall.trendmicro.com/>
>
> Panda Security
> <http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/acti
> vescan/>
>
> Kaspersky Lab
> <http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner>

Are these free scanners? Or do they claim to be free
but contain hidden charges? I know it's possible those
websites claiming FinallyFast.com isn't free despite
what the commercials say could instead be the liars and
not FinallyFast.com. I don't know who's lying and
who isn't. But I do know hidden charges on some things
aren't uncommon like on some credit cards, for example.

On a related issue, does turning off the computer every
night and restarting it in the morning hurt it more
than just leaving it on all the time? I have heard
conflicting views on this. Every computer for my own
use owned by a college or university seemed to work
just fine when I was turning it off at night before
leaving for home. But when I started doing this for
this computer here, several mornings later shortly
after turning it on, it froze up on me. And I quit
doing it and just kept leaving it on, and it froze
less frequently after that. Then I started trying
it again earlier this week several nights ago, and
not long after I turned it on this morning, it froze
on me. And it froze on me again this past afternoon!
It may be coincidences, or maybe for this computer,
turning it off regularly hurts it. I don't know.

Perhaps for the school computers, they didn't have
these kinds of problems much because I wonder
if their servers help keep malware and other junk off
the computers that cause computers to crash.
I should also say that my old computer at UK was
connected to a server offered by the school (it was
a different one used by my office computer, but
it was still a server offered by UK).
That seems to be about the only reason I can think of
that would explain why I haven't had any serious
problems with freezing up with school computers I have
used regularly and my old computer hooked to a school
server but have had a number of problems with
freezing up on this computer here.