The Math Forum

Topic: Historyu of the integral of secant
Replies: 13   Last Post: Mar 3, 2009 3:11 PM

Michael Press

Re: Historyu of the integral of secant

In article <49A8C201.20705@netscape.net>,
"Stephen J. Herschkorn" <sjherschko@netscape.net> wrote:

> What is the history of the trick to find the indefinite inteegral of the
> secant function? Who first used it, and when?

Which trick?
z = tan(x/2)?
Inverse gudermannian?

The correspondence predates the invention of the formal
integral calculus. The same numbers appeared while compiling
tables for the loxodrome and for log(tan(x)). I imagine
that after the integral calculus was invented, there was
no mystery about int sec(x) dx.

--
Michael Press