The Math Forum

Topic: Historyu of the integral of secant
Replies: 13   Last Post: Mar 3, 2009 3:11 PM

G. A. Edgar

Re: Historyu of the integral of secant

In article <>, Stephen J. Herschkorn
<> wrote:

> What is the history of the trick to find the indefinite inteegral of the
> secant function? Who first used it, and when?

I seem to remember it goes back to Mercator. He needed it for a map
projection. Of course that is long before Newton & Leibniz put
tools to make it easy.

G. A. Edgar