The Math Forum

Replies: 1   Last Post: Mar 6, 2009 10:13 AM

Dave Bock

Re: [ap-stat] Chi-square work

On Mar 6, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Leslie Free wrote:

> Just wondering how much work is required for the chi-square tests.
> Is it enough to state the name of the test, the chi-square formula,
> then the value of the test statistic, or do they need to set up
> some of the terms in the summation formula too? And do they only
> need to show the chi-square components if there is a significant
> outcome? I have my kids include the chi-square components in their
> chart for the goodness of fit test because most of them don't have
> the GOF option on their calculators so the values are right there
> in list 3 anyway, but for the other two it takes a little more work
> to find those and eats up time if they're not needed to describe a
> significant outcome. Please advise...

You didn't mention showing the expected values -- that's needed to
check the conditions. And, yes, they should show the setup for a few
terms of the calculation, but then it's fine to copy the outcome from
the calculator. Components are not necessary unless some specific
follow-up is required.

- Dave

Frequently asked questions (FAQ) http://www.mrderksen.com/faq.htm
---