Topic: Wolfram Alpha's response on "Who is Euler?"
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jun 2, 2009 5:40 PM

Peter Luschny

Re: Wolfram Alpha's response on "Who is Euler?"

On 20 Mai, 21:05, Vladimir Bondarenko <v...@cybertester.com> wrote:
> Here you are
> http://www.cybertester.com/Private/gs2.85/Wolfram_Alpha_Euler.pdf
> Google responds to the same question with the top link as follows
> http://www.gap-system.org/~history/Mathematicians/Euler.html

Dear Vladimir,

please do not assume that your readers are so dumb
not to be able to make their own tests.

Asking "Who is Bondarenko?" Alpha responded

Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.
* Did you mean: Who is mansakonko?

To the same question Google responded with this top link
knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Bondarenko_crater/

So Google might (rightly?) think you are the man in the moon.
However I find Alpha's answer more creative.

Seemingly you are very interested in Alpha. So it would
be nice to read your thoughts in a more explicit form.

For example it is not clear to me whether you noticed that
the answers are categorical different: Google points to
an entry in a sorted list whereas Alpha tries to find his
own answer.

In some way this reminds me of the days computer chess
started. I bought such a machine and, believe it or not,
I did win. I was very pleased. Then I read this article
in Scientific America which told me that I have not be
afraid to lose against a computer in my lifetime.
I was even more pleased. I do not have to tell you
the rest of the story. The chess engine on my PC
has an estimated ELO rating of about 3000 whereas
I could not increase my abilities to the same level.

So what role are you going to play? Do you want to
tell us: "Look how easily a bright chap like me
can make jokes out of the dumb Alpha machine.
Do not believe that semantic information mining
will ever bring new insights on your desktop." ?