Topic: Wolfram Alpha's response on "Who is Euler?"
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jun 2, 2009 5:40 PM

Peter Luschny

Re: Wolfram Alpha's response on business model

On 21 Mai, 16:11, Richard Fateman <fate...@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Peter's view that saying Alpha is a failure is like saying computers
> can't play chess (ever) in 1968.

Yes. And that we will have to wait for some decades before
the /idea/ behind Alpha will become reality like those
incredible chess engines in use today.

> My assumption is that Alpha will get better. How much better is
> impossible to predict.

Alpha as a product - who knows. But the idea behind Alpha
- semantic information mining - will establish itself.

> It is possible to assess the contrast between the claims of Wolfram
> regarding Alpha today, and its performance today. On that basis it
> seems that the claims are overblown.

Sure. But that's quite typical for this industry. (For those who build
these systems and sometimes detectable even in those who criticize
them.)

> "what is the height of the campanile in Berkeley, california?"

Ok. Now it is time for an successful example. Type in

pi_15(S^8)

The answer is not so bad, I think.

> Maybe we should wait for Wolfram Beta.

"The next Google will be Google," someone said who knows this
industry.
Google is hard working on the same technology (minus NKS, of course).